Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday Thoughts


The Church tradition I grew up in did not observe many "traditional" seasons or occasions on the Church Calendar such as Advent or Lent. In fact, I don't recall ever really knowing much about these events, other than obviously recognizing the culmination of them in the celebrations of Christmas and Easter. As I grow older, I am finding that there is value in some of the disciplines of the liturgical Church. I agree with many "objectors" who say "we should take seriously our walk with Christ all year long", but I also know that some reminders on how to do that throughout the year are also appropriate. So what is the significance of Ash Wednesday and what can we learn from it?

Ash Wednesday begins the 40 day season of Lent, leading up to Easter. In a traditional Ash Wednesday service, a priest would impose ashes in the shape of a cross on your forehead as a symbol of repentance, and he would say something like, "Remember (O man) that you are dust, and to dust you shall return." The frailty of mankind is wrapped up in that statement. We are fragile, sinful creatures, and the only hope we have to overcome sin is found in a relationship with Jesus Christ. For the believer, Ash Wednesday is the beginning of a journey that culminates in celebrating the resurrection of our Savior.

Do you need to have ashes drawn across your forehead today to understand this? Probably not. Would it hurt you during this time of year to be reminded of the significance of Christ's journey to the cross on your behalf? Nope. Today would be a great day to begin a journey of reflection toward the cross, and be reminded of what the Gospel of Mark says in chapter 8:34-35, "He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this, Pastor Mark.....I too did not grow up with emphasis on traditionally recognized church disciplines....I can finally appreciate the intention and reasoning of these traditions...

Thank you for this "article"..

Debbie Wood